[SciPy-dev] [SciPy-user] default dtype

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Mon Jan 2 09:01:41 CST 2006

Francesc Altet wrote:
> A Dilluns 02 Gener 2006 14:53, Ed Schofield va escriure:
>
>>Then what do you think about an integer default that is redefinable by
>>
>>the user?  For example:
>>
>>Then zeros(), empty(), and ones() (any others?) would use the new
>>default.  I think the flexibility would be nice, and it should be
>>feasible ...
>

> Yes. I think this would be really nice to have. That way, the
> 64/32-bit dichotomy would disappear.

Is this supposed to be a fully global setting?  If so, what about

import numerix
numerix.default_dtype = 'something'

import somemodule
somemodule.foo()
boom!

Now, the foo() call either:

1.  blows up, because it had unqualified zeros() calls whose dtype has now
changed, or

2. resets numerix.default_type back, and your code blows up next.

I think this can be handled with a _call_ (numerix.set_default_dtype()), but
it requires special stack-handling code so that numerix can know to apply the
new default only to calls made from the same module.

Cheers,