[SciPy-dev] poll for renaming scipy_core online

Andrew Straw strawman at astraw.com
Mon Jan 2 16:41:29 CST 2006

Fernando Perez wrote:

>Andrew Straw wrote:
>

>>To keep tallying easy, I've put up a poll at the new wiki:
>>
>>http://new.scipy.org/Wiki/RenamingCore
>>
>>I didn't list all the wonderful names proposed, since I figured if they
>>were liked enough, someone would add them. Although I do think if Travis
>>wants to adopt the new(?) middle name of "Array", we should pay any
>>legal fees he incurs. :)
>>
>>Now, hopefully we won't have any election fraud here...
>>

>Notes:
>
>- scipy_core is NOT the current name, it's 'scipy'.  We're defining "name" as
>"what goes after the import keyword in the code", not the lingo.  So the 'no
>change' case would be 'scipy'.  See, even you get confused, so we HAVE to
>change it :)
>
>- numerix is a proposed name for the whole package, not for the array core.  I
>think for the array core, ndarray is so far leading (though other options have
>been proposed).

OK, so following up on this, I've realized there's a potential issue here:

If the "package name"  (what you call "name") above becomes, for the
sake of argument, numerix, does this mean that our distutils becomes
numerix.distutils?  And numerix.distutils and numerix.f2py would be
necessary for scipy?  An alternative is that the distribution could
distribute two top-level packages (e.g. numerix and scipy).