[SciPy-dev] Renaming scipy_core ???

John Hunter jdhunter at ace.bsd.uchicago.edu
Mon Jan 2 23:24:39 CST 2006

    Travis> I like the numerix name.  My only concern is would that
    Travis> mess up the use of numerix as a superset of all the array
    Travis> packages?  Perhaps that would be a "good thing" :-)

I think this could be potentially confusing for some in a transition,
but I don't think it is a deal breaker.  Not that many people use
matplotlib.numerix explicitly: most get the symbols from pylab which
imports matplotlib.numerix.  And as Fernando notes, the
matplotlib.numerix namespace has 90% overlap with the Numeric /
numarray/ scipy core namespace anyhow.

If numerix is adopted as the name for the scipy core base package, I
would be inclined to rename the matplotlib compatibility layer to
something like matplotlib.nxinterface which I think will still be
useful for compatibility and profiling for the near term.  This with
proper deprecation warnings should help clear any confusions.

JDH