[SciPy-dev] Renaming scipy_core ???

Travis Oliphant oliphant.travis at ieee.org
Tue Jan 3 14:34:39 CST 2006

Charles R Harris wrote:

> On 1/3/06, *Travis Oliphant* <oliphant.travis at ieee.org
> <mailto:oliphant.travis at ieee.org>> wrote:
>
>     <snip>
>
>     That's what I'm thinking, too.  But should we clobber the
>     numerix.ndarray *sub-package* with the numerix.ndarray.ndarray
>

> I'm as confused Fernando. Probably more so, actually. What would
> ndarray.ndarray be?

Perhaps what people are missing, is that the name of the new array
object is *ndarray*.   Try type(array([10,20]))  to see what I mean.

Because it is a *new-style* builtin type, it can be constructed by
calling the type object:

scipy.ndarray(...)

Normally people use scipy.array  to construct an array but subclasses
need to be able to access the class constructor.

So, I'm concerned about confusing the class constructor with a
*sub-package*.  Does, that make sense?

-Travis