[SciPy-dev] Renaming scipy_core ???

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Tue Jan 3 15:09:39 CST 2006

Travis Oliphant wrote:
> Charles R Harris wrote:
>

>>On 1/3/06, *Travis Oliphant* <oliphant.travis at ieee.org
>><mailto:oliphant.travis at ieee.org>> wrote:
>>
>>    <snip>
>>
>>    That's what I'm thinking, too.  But should we clobber the
>>    numerix.ndarray *sub-package* with the numerix.ndarray.ndarray
>>

>>I'm as confused Fernando. Probably more so, actually. What would
>>ndarray.ndarray be?
>

> Perhaps what people are missing, is that the name of the new array
> object is *ndarray*.   Try type(array([10,20]))  to see what I mean.
>
> Because it is a *new-style* builtin type, it can be constructed by
> calling the type object:
>
> scipy.ndarray(...)
>
> Normally people use scipy.array  to construct an array but subclasses
> need to be able to access the class constructor.

Ah!  I certainly was missing that part, thanks for the clarification.  Mmh,
I'm not sure then what the cleanest solution would be:
numerix.ndarray.ndarray() looks ugly.

Do you want to expose the raw type as a top-level?  If so, then that seems
inevitable.  If not,  I guess you could have an ndarray subpackage for the types:

ndarray.types.ndarray()

Are there more types, or is ndarray() the only new-style type constructor?

I now see that, regardless of how you choose to name things, you'll still need
to make a packaging decision on where to expose the ndarray type constructor
(unless you _only_ put it in the numerix level, but then it becomes impossible
to ever separate it as a standalone component.  I guess you could decide to go
that route, too).

Cheers,