[SciPy-dev] Leaning toward numpy

Arnd Baecker arnd.baecker at web.de
Wed Jan 4 01:24:56 CST 2006

Good morning all (at least from this side of the world ;-),

This is indeed a great start - just 85 messages in my `comp` inbox...

On Wed, 4 Jan 2006, eric jones wrote:

> I'm for one of the following names:
>
>     numpy
>     really_really_fast_multi_dimensional_array_library_for_science_and_math
>
> The benefit of the second is that typing singular_value_decomposition()
> would seem charmingly short.

OK, so we would just need to do
  import really_really_fast_multi_dimensional_array_library_for_science_and_math as rrfmdalfsam
  svd=rrfmdalfsam.singular_value_decomposition
  svd(...)
looks fine to me! What about renaming to
  really_truly_fast_multi_dimensional_array_library_for_science_and_math
Reasons: a bit shorter and allows the shorthand version
  rtfmdalfsam
(umpf - any hidden trademark problems here with "alf"?),
maybe with some more days of joint work we could get the
second part better ...

Now seriously to this one - I did not yet recieve the original message:

> Travis Oliphant wrote:
>
> >Hi everyone,
> >
> >Well, the naming game has got to end soon.  My semester starts soon and
> >I've got to get a release out.  I'm leaning toward numpy for several
> >reasons:
> >
> >1) It has history --- and therefore a web-domain name, and a sourceforge
> >site.  Googling for numpy already returns stuff about Python and numbers.
> >2) Currently both numarray and Numeric are under the sourceforge site,
> >numpy could go there without difficulty and lead out as a merger of the two.
> >3) We've been using the concept of numpy for a long time, but never the
> >namespace.

+1

numpy/scipy combo sounds good and still ndarray could go into main python
at some point.

Best, Arnd