[SciPy-dev] Leaning toward numpy
jh at oobleck.astro.cornell.edu
Wed Jan 4 09:43:05 CST 2006
+1 numpy, -googolplex (ok, -1) anything else!
The only objection someone raised to numpy-ish names earlier was the
inclusion of "-py" in the name, which other Python packages lack,
perhaps deliberately. However, "scipy" already offends on this score,
and nobody favored changing it in Round 1. Maybe we don't get double
penalty for two crimes. I haven't heard any complaints about "scipy"
over the past few years (well, not about the name, anyway).
I like "numpy" for several reasons:
1. it has history/name recognition
2. it is short
3. it is descriptive
4. it is easy to remember
5. it is not "cute" (nobody will be embarrassed to type it in a lecture)
6. we will not have to explain the etymology to every new user (eg, nagini)
7. it is the hands-down winner of Round 3 voting on the web page
8. it is the only name we will agree on *today*
Travis uttered chilling words: "My semester starts soon"! Please,
let's bring this historic conversation to an end and go with numpy
now (before historic becomes hysteric...).
[You can all breathe a sigh of relief that I chose the better part of
valor and deleted the "Grease" chorus I had typed here, with "Numpy's"
substituted for "Grease is"... or maybe you can't...;-)]
More information about the Scipy-dev