[SciPy-dev] Leaning toward numpy

Jonathan Taylor jonathan.taylor at utoronto.ca
Wed Jan 4 11:30:56 CST 2006

> I also don't want to have to explain to anybody "well, this isn't really the
> old numpy, it's the new numpy, which was written by the guy who was
> maintaining the old numpy, but it's a new code, and it also has features from
> numarray, so it's like the old numpy + numarray + better, but it's called
> numpy again.  Easy, no?"  Really, I don't.

Why explain this to anyone?  Simply put it on the web page.  If it is
really a source of confusion, just up the version number to numpy 2.x
and say that as of 2.x, numpy incorporates all the features of Numeric
and numarray.  I sincerely believe numpy/scipy is really is the most
consistent naming scheme and the most natural for people to look for,
when they are first looking for numerical python software.

Cheers.
Jon.