[SciPy-dev] Leaning toward numpy

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Wed Jan 4 12:10:44 CST 2006

Jonathan Taylor wrote:
>>I also don't want to have to explain to anybody "well, this isn't really the
>>old numpy, it's the new numpy, which was written by the guy who was
>>maintaining the old numpy, but it's a new code, and it also has features from
>>numarray, so it's like the old numpy + numarray + better, but it's called
>>numpy again.  Easy, no?"  Really, I don't.
>

> Why explain this to anyone?  Simply put it on the web page.  If it is
> really a source of confusion, just up the version number to numpy 2.x
> and say that as of 2.x, numpy incorporates all the features of Numeric
> and numarray.  I sincerely believe numpy/scipy is really is the most
> consistent naming scheme and the most natural for people to look for,
> when they are first looking for numerical python software.

Not to worry: numpy is set now, we're moving on.

The above was my reason to -1 numpy *when numerix was in play*.  Now that
numerix is out, I'm happy that Travis went for numpy.  We'll adapt and explain
it in the transition period, and in a few months all possible confusion will
be history.

My other con for numpy was the 'no py endings for the stdlib'.  But now we've
agreed that the only part for (potential, maybe, future) inclusion in the
stdlib would be the ndarray subpackage, so the 'py' suffix is not an issue for
numpy.

In the words of our very own Prabhu, 'numpy is dead, long live numpy!'

Cheers,