[SciPy-dev] New name is *numpy*

Pearu Peterson pearu at scipy.org
Wed Jan 4 14:40:41 CST 2006

On Wed, 4 Jan 2006, Travis Oliphant wrote:

> I'm almost done with numpy.  I'm trying to get tests to pass, right now...

Ok, let me know if you have commited your changes to svn, then I can relay
on numpy when testing full scipy.

> Focus on full scipy.  Especially, the __init__.py file.   Should we move
> the Package Loader Class out of the numpy/__init__.py file or not?

I think there is no need for using pkgload in numpy as there are only few
subpackages in numpy and they are known. We needed pkgload only because
the contents of installed scipy/ changed after installing full scipy but
scipy/__init__.py came from scipy_core. So, yes, you can remove Package
Loader Class out of the numpy/__init__.py and insert explicit imports of
subpackages.

> I've split out old scipy.base into
>
> numpy.core
> numpy.lib
>
> but both namespaces will be in numpy
>
> so from numpy import xxx, yyy
>
> should work as a replacement for from scipy.base import ***
>
> In numpy I could just search and replace scipy->numpy,  but in full
> scipy this will be a bit trickier I think.

Yes. Once numpy is stable and I have converted full scipy to use numpy so
that all its tests will pass, I'll make a commit without creating
intermediate branch. Is that ok with you?

Pearu