[SciPy-dev] New name is *numpy*

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Wed Jan 4 16:46:00 CST 2006

Travis Oliphant wrote:

> I'm almost done with numpy.  I'm trying to get tests to pass, right now...
>
> Focus on full scipy.  Especially, the __init__.py file.   Should we move
> the Package Loader Class out of the numpy/__init__.py file or not?
>
> I've split out old scipy.base into
>
> numpy.core
> numpy.lib
>
> but both namespaces will be in numpy
>
> so from numpy import xxx, yyy
>
> should work as a replacement for from scipy.base import ***
>
> In numpy I could just search and replace scipy->numpy,  but in full
> scipy this will be a bit trickier I think.

One word of advice: a quick scan of the sources showed me several unqualified
imports of the type

import mtrand

I think it would be a good idea to ban these altogether, in light of (as of
yet unenforced) PEP 328:

http://www.python.org/peps/pep-0328.html

I made that change in ipython a while back (import genutils -> from IPython
import genutils) to future-proof myself and avoid possible clashes with the
stdlib at some point.

Cheers,