[SciPy-dev] Now new svn of numpy is ready

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Thu Jan 5 01:22:15 CST 2006

Arnd Baecker wrote:

> I don't buy this argument about benchmarking, as numpy can be
> installed with and without ATLAS (ACML/MKL/scsl/...).
> Depending on this, very different results will show up.

Yes, but that's still something that only affects numpy, at install time: the
installation conditions are a known, fixed quantity (just like the compiler
used, optimization flags, etc).

The other one means that on Monday your code runs one way, on Tuesday (when
you de-install scipy, for whatever reason) it mysteriously runs slower, and
then on Wednesday (when you reinstall scipy from SVN, which happens to have a
subtle bug that day) it just segfaults.  And yet nowhere are you calling
scipy.  It's even better when the above scipy changes were made by someone
else in your lab with root access, and you didn't even know they were
happening.  Fun, eh?

I know that the above sounds silly, but in real life a less absurd set of
circumstances can still lead to hair-pulling frustration when faced with this
kind of hidden side effect setup.

Cheers,