[SciPy-dev] not *more* lists!

Travis Oliphant oliphant.travis at ieee.org
Sat Jan 7 21:20:28 CST 2006

Joe Harrington wrote:

>[this is not on the lists]
>
>Hi Travis,
>

>Second, why start two *more* lists?  We have two too many now.

This is the way I see it.

1) There is a need for list separation between NumPy and SciPy (there
are enough people not interested in full SciPy who want to be able to
discuss NumPy).

2) I'd like to keep Numeric / Numarray traffic on the list they are on now.

So, I see only 4 lists of forward-going value

numpy-user
numpy-devel

for NumPy development and use

scipy-user
scipy-dev

for SciPy development and use

The numpy-discussions

list is for traffic about Numarray and Numeric as it always has been.

I think this will let people filter what they read a bit better.   I
think we should also inform that if you are subscribed to the dev lists
then you should also be subscribed to the user list so that traffic that
should go to both only goes to the user lists (i.e. no cross-posting).

I think some clear guidelines are definitely in order.   Still waiting
for that new website to start to get used....