[SciPy-dev] eggs and f2py extensions

Christopher Fonnesbeck chris at trichech.us
Mon Jan 16 11:38:05 CST 2006

On Jan 5, 2006, at 5:24 PM, Robert Kern wrote:

> Christopher Fonnesbeck wrote:
>> Are f2py extensions compatible with eggs? At the moment, if I try to
>> import setup from setuptools rather than from numpy.distutils, it
>> does
>> not recognize fortran extensions.
>
> setuptools does interfere with the Fortran extensions to build_ext
> a little bit
> if one isn't careful. Everything works fine if you *build* without
> setuptools,
> and then do the bdist_egg command separately with setuptools.
>
> E.g.
>
>   $ python setup.py build
>   $ python -c "import setuptools; execfile('setup.py')" bdist_egg

I'm trying to take advantage of the automatic prerequisite installing
features of setuptools. Do I then have 2 calls: one to
distutils.setup (for building) and another to setuptools.setup (for
prerequisite verification and installing)?

Thanks for your help.

C.

--
Christopher J. Fonnesbeck

Population Ecologist, Marine Mammal Section
Fish & Wildlife Research Institute (FWC)
St. Petersburg, FL

Adjunct Assistant Professor
Warnell School of Forest Resources
University of Georgia