[SciPy-dev] Smooth filtering method

Hugo Gamboa hgamboa at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 04:51:24 CST 2006

I came across the need of a smoothing function for my processing tasks. In
attach you can find a smooth.py that I think can useful, and could be
introduced in the scipy signal package.

In the process of preparing the code in order to be presentable for others I
collected some scipy development guidelines questions:

1. Docstrings. Is there (or should exist) a docstring guideline for
numpy/scipy? In this code I make an approach using items in the docstring
like: input, output, example, see also and TODO. Is this too much. I my
opinion a guideline could help newcomers (like me) to contribute with
standardized documentation to scipy.

2. Demo methods. I find it interesting to have some of the functions
accompanied by demo code for demonstration purposes. Have any one thought
about the structure for such code. Could it be included in a demo directory
like the tests directory? And is it pacific to use mpl in those demos?

3. Argument verification. Should a guideline for numpy argument verification
be defined? What I me think is in a wiki page that describes the steps for
standard verification of the arguments, pointing to some helper functions
that do some of those tasks (like atleast_Xd).

Best regards,

Hugo Gamboa