[SciPy-dev] Any advice on testing scientific algorithms?

Jonathan Taylor jonathan.taylor at utoronto.ca
Thu Jan 26 16:09:07 CST 2006

I am wondering if any of you have thoughts on how to test scientific
algorithms.  For example, an algorithm that tries to learn some sort
of probalistic model.

The only thing that really comes to mind is regression testing.  Any
suggestions here?
Would I just print the output to output.txt once, and then as a test,
rerun and make sure I get the same output.txt?
I suppose I would have to use a fixed seed, to make sure that I get
the same results.  Will floating point numbers show up differently on
different architectures?

Are there any other options I am not thinking of?

Thanks,
Jon.