[SciPy-dev] Weave, numpy, external libraries and conflicting typedefs

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu_r at users.sf.net
Fri Jul 7 14:33:54 CDT 2006

    >> Earlier, with Numeric, arrayobject.h did not define typedefs
    >> for the Int32 and so on.  However, numpy defines several
    >> typedefs that conflict with the typedefs in Ygl.

    Travis> You need to #define PY_ARRAY_TYPES_PREFIX ygl_

    Travis> or something like that before including arrayobject.h

Thanks!  I tried to do this but there are more problems.
arrayobject.h defines MAX/MIN macros.  My own code defines these as
generic functions.  I can work around those easily, and after I did
that I ended up with compilation errors below (where foo.cpp is the
weave generated code):

foo.cpp: In member function 'void numpy_type_handler::conversion_numpy_check_type(PyArrayObject*, int, const char*)':
foo.cpp:494: error: expected primary-expression before ')' token
foo.cpp:494: error: 'Bool' was not declared in this scope
foo.cpp:494: error: expected primary-expression before 'int'
foo.cpp:494: error: expected primary-expression before 'int'
foo.cpp:494: error: expected `)' before 'PyArray_API'
[...]

The code in question is:

    482     void conversion_numpy_check_type(PyArrayObject* arr_obj, int numeric_type,
    483                                      const char* name)
    484     {
    485         // Make sure input has correct numeric type.
    486         int arr_type = arr_obj->descr->type_num;
    487         if (PyTypeNum_ISEXTENDED(numeric_type))
    488         {
    489         char msg[80];
    490         sprintf(msg, "Conversion Error: extended types not supported for variable '%s'",
    491                 name);
    492         throw_error(PyExc_TypeError, msg);
    493         }
    494         if (!PyArray_EquivTypenums(arr_type, numeric_type))
    495         {

If I don't "#define PY_ARRAY_TYPES_PREFIX ygl_" I don't get these
errors.

I see the problem.  PyArray_EquivTypenums ultimately returns a Bool
(defined in __multiarray_api.h) and Bool is undef'd when
PY_ARRAY_TYPES_PREFIX is set.  If I comment the undef Bool this
compiles fine.

Is there anything that can be done or should I just try and work
around the problem in my code?

Also, would you consider changing the MAX/MIN macro names?

Thanks again!

regards,
prabhu