[SciPy-dev] Weave, numpy, external libraries and conflicting typedefs

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Fri Jul 7 15:32:28 CDT 2006

On 7/7/06, Travis Oliphant <oliphant at ee.byu.edu> wrote:

> Also, (in latest SVN)  the MAXMIN macros can be avoided using
>
> #define PYA_NOMAXMIN
>
> before including arrayobject.h

Mmh, this looks crufty to me: special cases like these look bad in a
library, and break the 'just works' ideal we all strive for, IMHO.

Why not have arrayobject.h be fully include-safe with prefixing of all
of its #defines, leaving a private header for use by numpy's
internals?

I really don't like having to remember (or teach) special cases. One
never seems like too many, until you forget it months later and waste
an afternoon hunting for a strange bug.

Just my opinion...