[SciPy-dev] Weave, numpy, external libraries and conflicting typedefs

Travis Oliphant oliphant at ee.byu.edu
Fri Jul 7 15:39:06 CDT 2006

Fernando Perez wrote:

>On 7/7/06, Travis Oliphant <oliphant at ee.byu.edu> wrote:
>

>>Also, (in latest SVN)  the MAXMIN macros can be avoided using
>>
>>#define PYA_NOMAXMIN
>>
>>before including arrayobject.h
>>

>Mmh, this looks crufty to me: special cases like these look bad in a
>library, and break the 'just works' ideal we all strive for, IMHO.

But, it fixes the problem he's having without breaking anybody else's
code that uses the MAX / MIN macros, already.

Besides, the PY_ARRAY_TYPES_PREFIX business is a lot more crufty.

I'm not opposed to putting a *short* prefix in front of everything (the
Int32, Float64, stuff came from numarray which now has it's own
back-ward compatible header where it could be placed now anyway).
Perhaps npy_  would be a suitable prefix.

That way we could get rid of the cruft entirely.

I suppose we could also provide the noprefix.h header that defines the
old un-prefixed cases for "backwards NumPy compatibility".

-Travis