[SciPy-dev] acceptable licenses for scipy

Stefan van der Walt stefan at sun.ac.za
Thu Jul 13 14:19:48 CDT 2006

On Thu, Jul 13, 2006 at 12:20:06PM -0500, Robert Kern wrote:
> Stefan van der Walt wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > When including source with scipy, which licenses are acceptable?  I
> > know that the BSD-style licenses are good, but how about the Lesser
> > GPL etc.?
>
> No, we're still trying to keep scipy as a whole BSDish.
>
> If there is an LGPL library which you wish to provide, it would provide an
> excellent seed for Fernando's "scikits" namespace package. We would be happy to
> provide the infrastructure on projects.scipy.org.
>
> Of course, every time this topic comes up, I make the same offer, but so far, no
> one has done anything about it.

Robert Hetland's post got me thinking the other day.  I would really
like to have polygon manipulation routines in (or pluggable into)
scipy.

He provided a link to some C-code, which, after I spent a morning
trying to get everything running smoothly with the C API, I wrapped
with c_types in half an hour (thanks, Albert!).

Unfortunately, that code was only for point-in-polygon.  The next
obvious thing to include would be polygon clipping.  There are a
couple of packages out there, but their licenses are either
unspecified, GPL or LGPL.

I spent the whole afternoon googling for free polygon clipping
routines, but to no avail (maybe I should just write them, I've found
enough articles in the process).

While the package is currently rather small, there might be room for a
larger package, 'geometry'.  And since licensing seems to be an issue,
doing this outside (but closely involved with) scipy seems to be a
good idea.

So, how does a person go about creating a 'scikit'?  At the moment,
the source is formatted like a sandbox module, but I'd gladly rip its
guts out to make it fit.

Cheers
Stéfan