[SciPy-dev] Stats t-test broken on 1D input

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Thu Mar 2 16:52:59 CST 2006

[Ed Schofield:]
>>The ttest_ind function actually has a comment that it's "from
>>Numerical Recipes".  So I think, even though it's been Pythonized, we
>>don't have permission to distribute it and we need to need to remove
>>it altogether.  So we really need some more help with the stats
>>module ...

[Zachary Pincus:]
> Re-writing something in a completely different language isn't
> transformative enough (especially given its short length) to make the
> resulting code no longer copyrighted by Numerical Recipes?
>
> I am of course NAL, but I find that surprising.

I don't think there is a problem. The algorithm is so small and well-known that,
for all the points of similarity between our code and Numerical Recipes', no
competent programmer would implement it any differently. Copying NR code
verbatim would be legally iffy, and I would reject it immediately, but this
seems okay.

IANAL. TINLA.

--
Robert Kern