[SciPy-dev] undefined function adm() used in Lib/stats/_support.py:linexand

Tim Leslie tim.leslie at gmail.com
Tue Mar 14 22:27:19 CST 2006

The last line of the function linexand in stats/_support.py is

    return adm(a,criterion)

but I can't for the life of me find where adm is defined or quite what it
should do. Anyone have any ideas?

The following test shows the error in all it's glory.

>>> from scipy.stats import paired
>>> from numpy import array
>>> a = array([1,2])
>>> b = array([2,3])
>>> paired(a, b)

Independent or related samples, or correlation (i,r,c):  c

Is the data Continuous, Ranked, or Dichotomous (c,r,d):  d
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/scipy/stats/stats.py", line 1201,
in paired
    r,p = pointbiserialr(x,y)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/scipy/stats/stats.py", line 1273,
in pointbiserialr
    x = _support.linexand(data,0,categories[0])
  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/scipy/stats/_support.py", line 148,
in linexand
    return adm(a,criterion)
NameError: global name 'adm' is not defined

AFAICT this bug affects the following stats interface functions: paired,
pointbiserialr, findwithin, anova.

If noone knows a quick fix for this, I'll open a ticket.

Cheers,

Timl