[SciPy-dev] linalg naming

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Thu Mar 16 14:25:26 CST 2006

Jonathan Taylor wrote:
> in the latest svn, things like numpy.linalg.inverse ,
> numpy.linalg.generalized_inverse, etc. have disappeared. i remember
> there being an email about this
> in the past few days.
>
> are the old names supposed to still work?

No.

> i see there is an old.py
> module, i suppose the easy fix is just to import old as needed. only
> this sort of breaks things like matplotlib that tried to be compatible
> with Numeric and numarray....

matplotlib's SVN already has a fix to use numpy.linalg.old. This is the
compatibility layer that such projects should be using.

> is it too much to add
>
> from old import *
>
> to __init__.py?

Well, it was a conscious decision to clean up the namespace instead of having
the Numeric-compatibility aliases lying around. Ideally, this would have been
done a few months ago, but there were more pressing issues to address.

Until we hit 1.0, there aren't any API stability guarantees other than that
we'll try not to jerk you around too much.

numpy-discussion at lists.sourceforge.net is the right list.

--
Robert Kern
robert.kern at gmail.com