[SciPy-dev] linalg naming

Jonathan Taylor jonathan.taylor at stanford.edu
Thu Mar 16 14:37:30 CST 2006

thanks.

i was using matplotlib-0.87.1 from sourceforge -- will switch to svn.

didn't know there was svn access... what's the url?

-- jonathan

Robert Kern wrote:

>Jonathan Taylor wrote:
>

>>in the latest svn, things like numpy.linalg.inverse ,
>>numpy.linalg.generalized_inverse, etc. have disappeared. i remember
>>there being an email about this
>>in the past few days.
>>
>>are the old names supposed to still work?
>>

>No.
>

>>i see there is an old.py
>>module, i suppose the easy fix is just to import old as needed. only
>>this sort of breaks things like matplotlib that tried to be compatible
>>with Numeric and numarray....
>>

>matplotlib's SVN already has a fix to use numpy.linalg.old. This is the
>compatibility layer that such projects should be using.
>

>>is it too much to add
>>
>>from old import *
>>
>>to __init__.py?
>>

>Well, it was a conscious decision to clean up the namespace instead of having
>the Numeric-compatibility aliases lying around. Ideally, this would have been
>done a few months ago, but there were more pressing issues to address.
>
>Until we hit 1.0, there aren't any API stability guarantees other than that
>we'll try not to jerk you around too much.
>

>>-- jonathan
>>
>>p.s. by the way, as this is a numpy issue, i don't know if this is the
>>right list to send this to -- is there a numpy-dev? i didn't try too
>>hard, but i couldn't find one.
>>

>numpy-discussion at lists.sourceforge.net is the right list.

I'm part of the Team in Training: please support our efforts for the
Leukemia and Lymphoma Society!

http://www.active.com/donate/tntsvmb/tntsvmbJTaylor

GO TEAM !!!

Jonathan Taylor                           Tel:   650.723.9230
Dept. of Statistics                       Fax:   650.725.8977
Sequoia Hall, 137                         www-stat.stanford.edu/~jtaylo
390 Serra Mall
Stanford, CA 94305