[SciPy-dev] scipy.sparse + umfpack + system_info

Ed Schofield schofield at ftw.at
Mon Mar 27 09:45:51 CST 2006

Robert Cimrman wrote:
> Hi all,
> I have added a basic umfpack detection support to
> numpy.distutils.system_info() - see example site.cfg below (and
> replace <UMFPACKv4.4_root>...).
> The Umfpack wrapper still resides in the sandbox, but its setup.py now
> uses the detection stuff.
>
> Now I would like to move the wrapper somewhere under scipy.sparse and
> I hit a problem: umpfack.py depends on scipy.sparse, since it uses the
> CSR/CSC matrix formats, but also scipy.sparse uses umfpack.py for
> solving linear equations.if present. How to get out of this circular
> dependency problem? Do you have any suggestions on how to organize the
> files?
Hi Robert,

Great work! :)

I suggest we move the solvers out of sparse.py, leaving only the data
types.  We could put them instead into a separate module that depends on
both sparse.py and umfpack.py.  We can still have them accessible under
the scipy.sparse namespace by adding a line like
    from umfsolvers import *
to sparse/__init__.py.

-- Ed