[SciPy-dev] Online SciPy Journal

Stefan van der Walt stefan at sun.ac.za
Tue Oct 3 03:02:24 CDT 2006

On Mon, Oct 02, 2006 at 10:56:01PM -0400, Alan G Isaac wrote:
> Assuming LaTeX only submissions, good style file is
> important right off the bat.  I like the JSS style.
> This is
> Copyright (C) 2004 Achim Zeileis Achim.Zeileis at wu-wien.ac.at
> If others like it too, I'm willing to ask him for permission
> to hack it.

I guess we are getting ahead of ourselves, but since the topic was
brough up: The IEEE Journal layout is distributed under the Perl
Artistic License at

http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/macros/latex/contrib/IEEEtran/

with the additional advantage that it has a LyX template (included in
the LyX distribution).

The idea of a journal for pythonic science appeals to me as a student.
In order to complete theses, large pieces of code are often written;
yet, for all that time spent doing that there is no reward in terms of
a publication.

I agree with David that this may motivate contributing scientists to
write better code.  We could probably do with a review of the level of
testing done in scipy/numpy ourselves ;)

Regards
Stéfan