[SciPy-dev] Online SciPy Journal

Brian Granger ellisonbg.net at gmail.com
Tue Oct 3 13:17:30 CDT 2006

Thanks Fernando for spending so much time thinking about this.

There is another pitfall that I see lurking here that is relevant if
we want to create something that the bean counters will count.

I am guessing that the reason the everyone has been so enthusiastic
about the idea (including myself) is that we want such a journal to
exist because we want to publish articles in it.  But this won't work
very well if all of us are also the journal's primary
organizers/editors/reviewers.  From the outside, (and to the bean
counters) I think that scenario will simply look like a bunch of
friends in an isolated community approving of each other's work (even
though it may be more than that in reality).

Because of this, no matter what we do, I think it is important to
build something that people outside scipy-dev at scipy.org will want to
i) read and ii) publish in.  The question is how to go about this.
One way would be to find sponsors - organizations and individuals that
could get behind the effort and provide publicity, manpower and
resources.

Another thing that might be important is to have a rolling publication
model like that of the physics arxiv or boost - rather than a
traditional model of having issues/volumes published at regular
intervals.  The difficulty with the traditional model is that there is
pressure to have a continual flow of articles - it also creates
deadlines :(

Brian