[SciPy-dev] [Numpy-discussion] Should numpy.sqrt(-1) return 1j rather than nan?

Travis Oliphant oliphant at ee.byu.edu
Thu Oct 12 14:35:50 CDT 2006

Fernando Perez wrote:

>[ Moved over from the numpy list at Travis' request ]

Thank you.

Now, just because I checked in a change to scipy, doesn't mean it has to
stay that way.

Perhaps the best thing to do, is to rename the fancy functions and
accept backwards incompatibility with new scipy.   Some will be unhappy
as it will require code changes, but it's the reason that scipy has been
pre 1.0 for so long (we needed to fix up the basic array situation first).

-Travis