[SciPy-dev] Changing API for kmeans in scipy.cluster ?

David Cournapeau david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Sun Oct 15 23:26:36 CDT 2006

Hi,

    I would like to know if it is ok to slightly change the API of
kmeans in scipy.cluster ? For my package pyem, it would be practical for
kmeans to return the observed book, that is an index array describing
the class' membership.
    This can trivially done by returning it as a third argument (it is
already computed in the current implementation); as the function already
returns a list of arrays, I believe it would be backward compatible with
the current version. If nobody has any objection, I can make the change
in the subversion repository,

    cheers,

    David