[SciPy-dev] Docstrings patches

Mark Koudritsky kamrik at gmail.com
Sun Oct 22 08:30:21 CDT 2006

Was the possibility of editing the docstrings in a wiki style ever discussed?

I think it can be done with a special wiki which has a page for every
docstring in the sources (not every comment, but every docstring
intended for the user). Some script can be run once in a while that
will take the docstrings from the wiki and insert them into the
sources. Such a system would very significantly lower the barrier for
contributing to documentation.

Of course, the system is not trivial, it should check the docstrings
from the wiki to avoid "injection attacks" etc. etc. But it's not too
complicated either.

Does anybody know if a similar system already exists somewhere?

Anyway, I call for discussion of this possibility.

Regards

   - Mark