[SciPy-dev] PRIMME: PReconditioned Iterative MultiMethod Eigensolver

Robert Cimrman cimrman3 at ntc.zcu.cz
Fri Oct 27 05:40:24 CDT 2006

David Cournapeau wrote:
> Robert Kern wrote:
>> Nils Wagner wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> A new eigensolver is available (*NA Digest, V. 06, # 43*).
>>> PRIMME is released under the Lesser GPL license.
>>> Is this licence compatible wrt scipy ?
>>>
>> No, it cannot be included in scipy. You have asked this question many times
>> before, and the answer has never changed.
>>
> What do you mean by 'cannot be included in scipy', exactly ? For
> example, a numpy/scipy wrapper to a LGPL library is acceptable, if the
> library itself is not included in scipy sources ? Is a wrapper
> considered as a derivative work ?

It is the same situation as with the umfpack solver (GPL) - I have
written the wrappers which are included in scipy (they do not use any
umfpack code, they just use information about its API) and added a check
into distutils and a section into site.cfg file to see if umfpack is
installed in the system.

IMHO (IANAL) a wrapper is not a derivative work - it does not use any
code from the library it wraps (and considering it a derivative work
would exclude all extensions that use e.g. linux system calls?)

r.