[SciPy-dev] PRIMME: PReconditioned Iterative MultiMethod Eigensolver

David Cournapeau david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Mon Oct 30 00:40:05 CST 2006

Robert Kern wrote:
> Travis Oliphant wrote:
>
>> How should we proceed?  Can Robert set up a new SVN tree for scikits?
>> Can I?  What kind of things should go into scikits.  How should they be
>> installed -- under the scikits name-space (do we really like that name
>> --- it sounds quirky to me)?
>>

> When you decide on a name, Jeff Strunk <jstrunk at enthought dot com> can set up
> a projects.scipy.org project for it. Since each sciwhatever.* subpackage will be
> separate from the others, I would recommend following Zope's lead and keeping
> the sources separate although they share a common namespace package. E.g.
>

> trunk/
>    audio/
>      README
>      setup.py
>      sciwhatever/
>        __init__.py
>        audio/
>          __init__.py
>          audiostuff.py
>    primme/
>      README
>      setup.py
>      sciwhatever/
>        __init__.py
>        primme/
>          __init__.py
>          eigenstuff.py
>

> I think the focus of sciwhatever should still be on open source packages, so I
> would reject packages with research-use-only licenses and the like.
>
> I must admit that I'm kind of fond of "sciwhatever" as a name, now.

I can quickly change the layout of pyaudio so that it looks like above.
I am not sure about the setup.py, and sciwhatever/__init__.py, though (I
don't know much about python packages and co)

    - Is sciwhatever/__init__.py shared accross all the packages (ie
always the same in primme,pyaudio, etc... ?)
    - Should the setup.py follow the same convention that the scipy
modules' ones ?

Cheers,

David