[SciPy-dev] from scipy import maxentropy fails with Python 2.5

David M. Cooke cookedm at physics.mcmaster.ca
Fri Sep 29 13:53:52 CDT 2006

On Fri, 29 Sep 2006 11:47:57 -0500
Robert Kern <robert.kern at gmail.com> wrote:

> Lars Bittrich wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I tried to compile scipy with Python 2.5 and Intel C++/Fortran compiler.
> > The first import failed:
> >
> > In [1]:from scipy import *
> >    File
> > "[...]/lib/python2.5/site-packages/scipy/maxentropy/maxentropy.py", line
> > 69 from __future__ import division
> > <type 'exceptions.SyntaxError'>: from __future__ imports must occur at
> > the beginning of the file
> >
> > That problem was easy to fix just by following the instructions of that
> > message in 2 files:
> >
> > scipy/maxentropy/maxentropy.py
> > scipy/maxentropy/maxentutils.py
> >
> > Is that import necessary with Python 2.5 or even Python 2.4?
>
> Yes. Integer division will not be changing in the 2.x releases.
>
> I'm checking in a change that moves those statements up, but not before
> docstrings. I don't have a 2.5 interpreter to check this out with, and I
> can see no reference to it in the "What's New" documentation, so please let
> me know if it works for you.

FWIW, it's been true since 2.1, that __future__ statements have to be
the first bit of code in the module (excluding docstrings); see PEP 236
(http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0236/).

Looks like that hasn't been enforced for < 2.5 for features that the
interpreter supports (although for non-supported features, like "from
__future__ import blah", all the versions I have complain).