[SciPy-dev] Intro / Docstrings

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Fri Sep 29 23:19:28 CDT 2006

Greg Willden wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> The FAQ says if you want to help out drop you line.  Here is my line:
>
> I'm pretty new to numpy/scipy but I've been using Python for a while now.
> I have a long history of Matlab use but I'm gradually weaning myself.
>
> I would like to contribute to this project by adding a few things to the
> docstrings that will help new people like myself get their bearings.  I
> love Python and would really like to get really good with
> numpy/scipy/matplotlib.

Wonderful! Welcome!

> I want to see more "See also:" portions on the end of the docstrings.
> This is something that Matlab does well that makes it easy to learn
> about new, related functions.
>
> What is the best way for me to contribute?

This is a good way to start. If you want to start with actual code, we still
have quite a ways to go with the "Statistics Review" that I started too long ago.

   http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/scipy/wiki/StatisticsReview

There are plenty of bite-sized things to do in cleaning up scipy.stats .

> Whom would I submit patches to?  This list or an individual?

We use the Trac bug-tracking system for numpy and scipy. You will need to
register accounts for them due to spammers.

   http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/numpy/register
   http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/scipy/register

After you do that, click on "New Ticket" in the upper right-hand corner.
Describe your changes and submit the ticket. After the ticket is created, there
will be an "Attach file" button which you can use to add your patch.

--
Robert Kern

  an underlying truth."
   -- Umberto Eco