[SciPy-dev] Online SciPy Journal

Bill Baxter wbaxter at gmail.com
Sat Sep 30 02:42:03 CDT 2006

On 9/30/06, Travis Oliphant <oliphant at ee.byu.edu> wrote:
> Besides your comments, I would like a response on at least two
> questions:  +1, -1, +0, -0  voting.
>

> 1) Do you like the idea ?

+1

I like the idea, but at least in the world of computer graphics
research, writing about the implementation of some software is not
usually considered a topic for a publication.  At least I don't know
of any mainstream journals or conferences that have this kind of
slant.   Journal of Graphics Tools is probably the closest, but those
papers usually present a clever new algorithm of some sort, or useful
twist on an old one.  Novelty is always one of the main criteria for
reviewing anywhere I've sent papers.  So something like "implementing
an FFT module for SciPy" wouldn't go over well with any of the venues
I'm familiar with.  "There's nothing novel about the FFT" would be the
rejection.

The idea is pretty devious though..  I like it.  Excellent software
infrastructure really does lead to increased scientific progress, and
it doesn't happen by itself.  So a way for academics to get the kudos
they need to continue such efforts would be great.

> 2) Could you help (i.e. as an editor, reviewer, etc.)?

+1

--bb