[SciPy-dev] SciPy improvements

Bill Baxter wbaxter@gmail....
Thu Apr 12 21:32:41 CDT 2007

On 4/13/07, Michael McNeil Forbes <mforbes@physics.ubc.ca> wrote:
> On 12 Apr 2007, at 4:32 PM, Ondrej Certik wrote:
>
> > Could you Michael please also rewrite your code to Python?
> >
> > http://www.phys.washington.edu/users/mforbes/projects/broyden/
> >
> > It would be nice to have all of it in SciPy with the same interface.
> >
> > BTW - why are you using matlab at all? To me, the python with numpy is
> > better than anything else I've programmed in, including matlab.

I don't know if you were serious or not, but Matlab still has a huge
amount of inertia and a very good network effect going for it.  Plus
many more years of development behind it than numpy.  You're much more
likely to be able to find random algorithms on the net implemented in
Matlab than in Python/Numpy, that is if you even need to go looking,
because a lot of stuff is already in Matlab to begin with.

So while I personally agree that Numpy is better than Matlab codewise,
a code in the hand beats two in the bush.  I'd be very happy to drop
Matlab completely if you could just port the NetLab
(http://www.ncrg.aston.ac.uk/netlab/) and a few other things for me.
:-)

--bb