[SciPy-dev] SciPy improvements

Fri Apr 13 01:23:12 CDT 2007

> The project page mentions SVM.  In addition to SVM I'm interested in
> things like PPCA, kernel PCA, RBF networks, gaussian processes and
> GPLVM.  Are you going to try to go in the direction of a modular
> structure with reusable bits for for all kernel methods, or is the
> plan to targeted specifically SVM?

Don't scipy have SVMs already ? Perhaps not as modularized at it could be ?
PPCA is PCA IIRC (Tipping 97, it's part of my Phd thesis), KPCA is not a big
deal if kernels are in a module, and if they have a method taking 2
arguments. BTW, even the svd could directly take a kernel as an argument,
the default kernel being the scalar product ?
I'm in favour of fine-grained modules - like for the optimisation module I
proposed -, and allowing pepole to choose which kernel they want, even if
the kernel was designed for SVM, is a good thing, the "kernel trick" should
be almost universal :)

Matthieu