[SciPy-dev] petsc - UMFPACK and scipy

Tue Apr 17 22:19:00 CDT 2007

John Pye wrote:
> Hi David
>
> David Cournapeau wrote:
>
>> UMFPACK is kind of a pain to compile too
>> (depends on two other packages), and let's not even start talking about
>> ATLAS, [...]
>>
> Just in case you didn't know, UMFPACK (as well as Tim Davis' other code)
> is part of Debian/Ubuntu. It's named 'libufsparse'. AFAIK it was not in
> Fedora Core 6 (but this may have changed).

I know that Debian/Ubuntu makes it much easier to build numpy and scipy
than other distributions, basically 2-3 lines to install them and all
necessary dependencies :) But I was speaking for other distributions.
Sadly, my experience with other distributions (FC 5-6 and openSUSE, at
least) show that they are not on par with debian, at least for those
packages. And then, you have other OS.
Anyway, I was just highlighting why adding dependencies makes the
packaging job more difficult.

David