[SciPy-dev] Compiling pysparse from the sandbox

Ed Schofield edschofield@gmail....
Thu Apr 19 10:46:37 CDT 2007

> On 4/18/07, Daniel Wheeler <daniel.wheeler@nist.gov> wrote:
>

> On Apr 18, 2007, at 6:53 PM, Bill Baxter wrote:
>
>> I think the name changed from CONTIGUOUS to NPY_CONTIGUOUS (or
>> NPY_C_CONTIGUOUS if you want to be a little more explicit).  Or try
>> including numpy/noprefix.h instead of whatever it is including.
>> That's apparently a compatibility header.
>
>> So is this pysparse in the sandbox the same pysparse as here?
>
> Probably not. Pysparse at sourceforge is being maintained and is at release
> 1.0. It's been updated
> to use numpy with the numpy/noprefix.h method mentioned above. Use cvs
> rather than 1.0 as 1.0
> doesn't see the numpy header files.

That's interesting to hear; I haven't been following PySparse
development for a while. Around the time of the Numeric -> SciPy core
transition, I took a snapshot of PySparse, patched it to compile with
NumPy and added it to the sandbox, with the idea of using it as a
basis for improvements to (or even a re-write of) the scipy.sparse
module. But we decided to keep the existing scipy.sparse matrix types,
and when I came to add the new list-based lil_matrix type, it turned
out to be easier to design it from scratch rather than port PySparse's
ll_mat.c code to Python.

So I see no reason to keep the pysparse snapshot in the sandbox any
longer. I've actually been meaning for a while to propose that we
delete it from the tree...

-- Ed