[SciPy-dev] BVP solver and dependence on Fortran 90/95

Stefan van der Walt stefan@sun.ac...
Mon Apr 23 02:40:23 CDT 2007

Hi John

On Sun, Apr 22, 2007 at 02:09:02PM +0100, John Travers wrote:
> My question is: what is the policy on scipy modules depending on
> Fortran 90/95 code. There currently doesn't appear to be any in the
> repository. However with the availability of gfortran now broadening
> and the fact that most (all?) commercial compilers now have full
> support, is it any longer a problem (putting aside f2py support)?

I'd suggest that you start by putting the code in a sandbox directory.
There you can experiment setting up the building processs, and once
we're satisfied we can move it over to the rest of scipy. Even if we
don't manage right away, having the code there for the future is a
good idea, otherwise it may be forgotten.

Maybe gfortran does manage to build your code, although I suspect
Robert's concern is that it may not consistently (over different
versions) deliver correctly functioning binaries?

Cheers
Stéfan