[SciPy-dev] BVP solver and dependence on Fortran 90/95

Neilen Marais nmarais@sun.ac...
Mon Apr 23 11:52:08 CDT 2007

On Sun, 22 Apr 2007 13:31:16 -0500, Robert Kern wrote:

> John Travers wrote:

>> My question is: what is the policy on scipy modules depending on
>> Fortran 90/95 code. There currently doesn't appear to be any in the
>> repository. However with the availability of gfortran now broadening
>> and the fact that most (all?) commercial compilers now have full
>> support, is it any longer a problem (putting aside f2py support)?
>
> Personally, I still don't trust gfortran to be non-buggy.

But presumably those willing to take the risk should be able to use f90/95
modules? I think the sooner we start at least giving people the option to
use gfortran, the sooner gfortran will gain our trust. It will at least
allow gfortan/scipy incompatibilities to surface and allow us to report
problems to the gfortran developers.

I'm a little bit in the dark about the g77/gfortan binary
incompatibility. Does this mean that f90 code compiled with gfortran can't
call f77 code compiled with g77? That would be a pretty sticky situation
for users of distribution packaged libs if the distro is using g77...

Regards
Neilen

--
you know its kind of tragic