[SciPy-dev] Dataset for examples and license

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Wed Apr 25 00:37:13 CDT 2007

David Cournapeau wrote:
> I don't see any problem with that approach, and I am sure you know much
> better than me how to organize things for easy distribution. I think
> everybody agreeing on one file format is important (I have a preference
> for hdf5, since it is well supported under python through pytables, and
> has a full C api).

I don't agree. My design goal was to be able to expose a single interface
(load()) in front of any file format or data source. I imagined that many of the
data sources would be from other packages that are out of our direct control and
which we did not want to copy-and-paste into our own repository.

> For really small dataset, CSV could be OK.
>
> Would scipydata be in scipy ? (I am asking again for license reasons :) ).

No, it would be a separate namespace package. Each scipydata subpackage could
specify its own license.

--
Robert Kern

 an underlying truth."