[SciPy-dev] SLSQP optimizer

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Wed Aug 15 12:49:15 CDT 2007

Alan G Isaac wrote:
>> Rob Falck wrote:
>>> My first concern is, is the license compatible with
>>> SciPy?  SLSQP is apparently under the ACM license.
>
> On Wed, 15 Aug 2007, Robert Kern apparently wrote:
>> the ACM forbids commercial use.
>
> 1. Suppose it is under the ACM license: it never hurts to
> ask for it to be relicensed as BSD.
> 2. It is not clear to me that this is under the ACM license.

http://www.acm.org/pubs/copyright_policy/#Works
"ACM requires authors to assign their copyrights to ACM as a condition of
publishing the work."

http://www.acm.org/pubs/copyright_policy/softwareCRnotice.html
"All software, both binary and source published by the Association for Computing
Machinery (hereafter, Software) is copyrighted by the Association (hereafter,
ACM) and ownership of all right, title and interest in and to the Software
remains with ACM."

The author no longer owns the copyright. He cannot give it to us under a BSD
license.

--
Robert Kern

 an underlying truth."