[SciPy-dev] superlu sources and Debian

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Tue Aug 28 13:20:05 CDT 2007

Ondrej Certik wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I adopted the scipy package in debian, it will be fixed soon. And
> definitely I'll be available to test the new release so that it works
> in Debian.

Thank you! That's wonderful news.

> In the process of polishing the package I noticed there are sources of
> SuperLU included, but not of the umfpack. I think either there should
> be both sources of superlu and umfpack, or nothing.

UMFPACK is GPLed and optional (for that reason), so we cannot distribute it.
SuperLU is under a BSDish license, is not optional, and is small enough to
include that the costs of doing so are outweighed by the benefits of not forcing
most scipy users to download and build SuperLU separately. We don't all use Debian.

> I personally am
> for nothing, since they are already in Debian as separate packages, so
> it is better to link against already installed packages - saves space
> and it is the cleaner solution. Also if there are some bugs discovered
> and fixed by upstream (superlu, umfpack) or the maintainer of the
> respective debian package, all I need is to recompile the scipy
> package, so I am using the work made by others (contrary to
> distributing the sources of superlu ourselves, in which case we need
> to fix everything).

As a package maintainer, you are free to patch up scipy as you see fit in order
to reuse other packages in your distribution.

--
Robert Kern

 an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco