[SciPy-dev] SciPy Sprint results

Wed Dec 19 23:58:43 CST 2007

On Dec 19, 2007 6:39 PM, Ryan Krauss <ryanlists@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks to all.  This sounds great.
>
> Ryan
>
> On Dec 19, 2007 12:52 PM, Travis E. Oliphant <oliphant@enthought.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
> > We had a great Sprint at Berkeley over last weekend.  Jarrod deserves a
> > huge hand for organizing it and Fernando should be also congradulated
> > for making the Sprint a productive communication session with a lot of
> > different people.
> <snip>
>
> >   * NumPy will get a standard binary file format (.npy/.npz) for
> > arrays/groups_of_arrays.

Will this new binary format contain endianess/type data? I am a bit
concerned that we don't yet have a reliable way to distinguish extended
precision floats from the coming quad precision as they  both tend to use
128 bytes on 64 bit machines. Perhaps extended precision should just be
dropped at some point, especially as it is not particularly portable between
architectures/compilers.

Chuck