[SciPy-dev] Scikits and stuff

Thu Dec 27 23:00:44 CST 2007

Fernando Perez wrote:
> On Dec 27, 2007 8:34 PM, Travis E. Oliphant <oliphant@enthought.com> wrote:
>
>> Given these three purposes.  It seems that we should have three name-spaces:
>>
>> 1) scikits
>> 2) ??? perhaps scigpl
>>

> Loses points for ugly :)

True.  Are there any other names:

How about:

sci_restrict
sci_no_bsd
sci_gpl
scifree  (as a nod to Free Software Foundation -- although there may be
unintentional negative double entendre).
scifsf

The point is that it is very useful for users to be able to know that
scikits and scipy and scipydev have a BSD or similar license, but
"scifree" is GPL-like and creates possible encumbrances for people who
use it in their code bases.
>> 3) scipy  (why not use the same namespace --- there is a technological
>> hurdle that may prevent egg distribution of these until we fix it.  But,
>> I think we can fix it and would rather not invent another name-space for
>> something that should be scipy).
>>

> I don't like the idea of the base scipy package being a moving target.
>  Much like the standard library (for any given python version) is a
> known quantity, I'd like scipy to be the same.

I'm fine with calling #3 something like scipydev.  The point is that it
would be good if there were some way for a developer of a Scientific
ToolKit to indicate their intention when they develop it and for others
to do so as well.

-Travis