[SciPy-dev] Scikits and stuff

Thu Dec 27 23:23:12 CST 2007

On 28/12/2007, Fernando Perez <fperez.net@gmail.com> wrote:
> - scikits: domain-specific toolkits and other self-contained packages
> that might be at some point candidates for scipy, but aren't yet
> mature enough to be included in the core.  License can be BSD or GPL,
> per-package.  It's a namespace package, so users can install only the
> components they want and update each independently.

I think I agree with this - not that I'm a developer, but I hope you
won't mind a user's opinion: it's really hard to tell whether a
package will eventually become part of scipy or not. Many packages
might start out domain-specific but as they mature and flesh out they
might generalize and come to be recognized as generally useful. If
domain-specific and immature packages are lumped together, no one is
forced to make the decision on whether some package will eventually be
of general applicability when it will someday be finished.

I suppose alternatively, all immature packages could go in one
namespace, to be moved to either scipy proper or a domain-specific
namespace when they mature. But how often do open-source packages
really reach a stable state? Many packages are useful for a
sufficiently specific domain even when quite immature; the maturation
process usually includes some generalization.

Anne