[SciPy-dev] Scikits and stuff

dmitrey dmitrey.kroshko@scipy....
Fri Dec 28 04:21:57 CST 2007

I would like to propose to ask user (after scipy installation) about
willing to install some more scikits, for example

 >>> you can select some scikits packages you want to install:

                 ver           date            license           description

1. learn    0.1        2007-12-01      GPL              machine learn
2. pylab    0.4b      2007-11-01      LGPL         matlab-Python bridge
etc

 >>>enter your choise (comma- or space- separated)

It will require working internet connection. Alternatively (and/or
optionally) user can specify directory containing scikits files,
transferred as tar.gz files or from svn repository w/o working internet
connection.

Also, user may be interested in installing scikit directly from svn
repository (latest snapshot), so idea of organizing this possibility
also should be taken into account.

I guess only few (which are already rather good, or because no good
alternative is available for now) scikits should be proposed. When some
scikit become out of support because newer more powerful one have
appeared or support dropped or due to any other reasons - scikit name
should be excluded from the list of propositions.

Regards, D.