[SciPy-dev] scipy.interpolate.fitpack patch

John Travers jtravs@gmail....
Tue Feb 6 06:00:23 CST 2007

On 06/02/07, Stefan van der Walt <stefan@sun.ac.za> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 06, 2007 at 11:14:22AM +0000, John Travers wrote:
> > On 06/02/07, Zachary Pincus <zpincus@stanford.edu> wrote:
> > > Hello folks,
> > >
> > > I found a minor bug in some of the routines in
> > > scipy.interpolate.fitpack that deal with parametric splines.
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > Zach Pincus
> >
> > Hi Zach,
> >
> > The bug you mentioned has already been fixed in a new development
> > version of fitpack which is currently in the sandbox under the spline
> > package.
> > I'm currently trying to move fitpack.py to depend purely on f2py
> > generated interfaces. I have also added a number of unit tests to find
> > other bugs. In addition a number of other enhancements have been made.
> > Check the README file in the package directory for details.
>
> We should at least maintain the version in main scipy until it can be
> replaced with the one in sandbox.

Agreed - but this should be happening within the next week

> Alternatively, since it seems the
> version in scipy-main is broken anyway (?), replace it and just make
> sure the code remains in a usable condition.

The version in main scipy is not really broken - I simply decided to
clean it up as I was in the process of separating spline functions
from interpolating functions. This ended up taking more time than I
anticipated (or I had too little time) - but it is mostly done now and
I think the new version is cleaner and easier to maintain.

It will be ready for inclusion in main as soon as I've found the bug
in the parametric spline. All tests for the previous fitpack pass
correctly for the new version, in addition to several new tests. But
there are currently no tests for parametric curves. I'm currently
using the cookbook example: (bottom of page on interpolation) - which
doesn't work yet. It shouldn't be hard to fix, but my time is still
limited - I plan to do it later this week.

Best regards,
John