[SciPy-dev] new function regrid for fitpack2

John Travers jtravs at gmail.com
Wed Jan 3 03:00:58 CST 2007

On 03/01/07, Tim Leslie <tim.leslie at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All, I've been working through a bunch of tickets and noticed this
> one has stagnated. Can someone comment on the status of this.
>
> http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/scipy/ticket/286
>
> The second patch to this ticket has not been applied? Is there a
> reason not to? I noticed the other thread on this topic suggested that
> a complete solution might require moving delaunay out of the sandbox.
> Is this still the case?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Tim

Hi Tim, everybody,

I am (slowly) trying to work on improving the interp2d function as
well as spline fitting in general. The first patch attached to the
ticket you mention is applied and provides the RectBivariateSpline
class for fitting a spline to rectangular gridded data. The second
patch changed interp2d to use this class rather than the firtpack
surfit function (which absolutely should not be used for
interpolation). This was not applied as it was decided that interp2d
really must support non-uniform grid data. The only solution to this
problem (surft still needs replacing) proposed to date is to use
Rokert Kern's delaunay package from the sandbox. In order to achieve
this I proposed that the spline *fitting* code be taken out of
scipy.interpolate and put into scipy.spline. And that
scipy.interpolate should import methods from both the spline and
delaunay package to provide interp1d, interp2d, interpnd only.

My first step towards this was to create a spline package in the
sandbox. In doing so I got side tracked into cleaning it up (moving to
purely f2py etc.) And then I got seriously side tracked at work (PhD
thesis work), so my timing wasn't great.

TODO:
1. finish the sandbox.spline package (I could skip cleaning it up for
now, I'm about half way through on my machine (uncommitted) - do
people think moving to clean f2py interface is really worth it?)
2. create a sandbox.interpolate package that contains the new interp
functionality based on spline and delaunay only
3. after testing, move all three packages out of the sandbox

What do people think about all of this? It will lead to quite large
API changes (but on a high level, i.e.
scipy.interpolate.RectBivariateSpline will become
scipy.spline.RectBivariateSpline)

Cheers,
John